- Choose and download a Linux distribution. Which one you choose to go with will ultimately be up to your liking, but the most popular are: Ubuntu, Open Suse, Fedora and Debian. Once you have decided which distribution to join, go to the dealer’s website and download the software onto your hard drive. Distributors offer their programs for download as an image file. An image is a digital copy of a CD / DVD.
- Burn the image file that you downloaded from the distributor to a blank CD / DVD. The file you downloaded is A ISO file. It is an image file and must be burned to a CD / DVD to work. All programs come with an image burning option, so that’s the option you need to choose when you burn the CD. Do not create a data CD as this can’t be used for installation.
- Insert the CD with Linux distribution in the CD drive and restart the computer. Depending on your laptop, you may be asked if you want to boot from the CD, select “Yes”. You will be taken to the login screen.
- Select “Install Linux” and you will get a series of questions about your system. Before initiating install procedure will install the software detect that Windows is on your computer. From here you will be given two options: Install Linux on Windows, delete all your old files or install Linux alongside Windows. This will create a duel-boot option when your computer starts and you will keep all your old Windows files.
- Start Linux. When the installation is complete, restart your computer. Depending on which option you select, install next to or across Windows, the computer will boot either Linux or ask you if you want to start Windows or Linux.
Tips & Warnings
After loading the boot disk, you can try Linux without installing it. Most distributions won’t use the CD option. No changes will be made to your hard disk. Linux will automatically identify the drivers that are needed to properly run your computer. Further work should not be necessary. If you choose to install Linux instead of the Windows option be sure to back up all your files first, otherwise they will be deleted.